Well.. google it if you want to know more about it.... but for those who have experienced it...
the answer is loved it or hate it..
Myself?... yet to be known.. I have a few attempts in building this antenna quiet sometime ago but failed due to the unavailability of a suitable variable capacitors locally... although plenty is available in ebay, diy is still the most attractive solution.
Before I start building, I will need to make and gather a few item..
1. Variable capacitor ( Butterfly type)
2. Low speed DC motor remote controller (thinking of tuning capacitor via coax)
3. 6-10mm copper tubing
4. Aluminum bicycle rim, preferably from 28" road bike
5. Some non conductive mounting and fixtures
6. whatever I feel needed... :)
The very important part that I must first have is the variable capacitor and must be able to go down to the lowest capacitance.. I am thinking of trying to get from 5pf to 200pf with a plate spacing of 1mm.
Therefore, the first stage is to draw and machine the capacitor plates. Stay tuned!!!